Tab Master 3
University of Exeter Tennis Club
One of the country’s largest University Tennis Club and the biggest club in the Athletic Union, we offer tennis for every kind of member. Our Men’s and Women’s 1st team compete in the BUCS National Premier division. Men's and Women's 2nd team compete in the Southern Premier. We have a further 2 men’s and women’s teams who compete in BUCS with the club achieving 3rd in the BUCS rankings 2015-16. In addition we cater for all standards; whether you want free court time with your friends, fancy competing in our Performance Pyramid, or improving your game with our coaches, there is something for everyone to enjoy. We offer six hours free court time a week and 14 coached hours with our LTA qualified coaches; there are plenty of opportunities for everyone to meet new people and improve their tennis! Absolute beginners are more than welcome in our friendly, welcoming atmosphere. Aside from the tennis, we have fun, relaxed socials and events, such as the Christmas ball, have proven to be extremely popular.
Club training times
|Tuesday||Cardio Tennis||Sports Park (Exeter Tennis Centre)||19:00-21:00|
|Tuesday||Free Court Time||Sports Park (Exeter Tennis Centre)||21:00-22:00|
|Wednesday||Free Court Time||Sports Park (Exeter Tennis Centre)||10:00-11:30|
|Thursday||Free court time||Sports Park (Exeter Tennis Centre)||10:00-11:30|
|Thursday||Cardio Tennis||Sports Park (Exeter Tennis Centre)||19:00-20:00|
|Saturday||Mixed Beginner's Coaching||Sports Park (Exeter Tennis Centre)||14:00-15:30|
|Saturday||Mixed Intermediate Coaching||Sports Park (Exeter Tennis Centre)||15:30-17:00|
|Saturday||Free Court Time||Sports Park (Exeter Tennis Centre)||17:00-19:00|
|Sunday||Mixed Beginner's Coaching||Sports Park (Exeter Tennis Centre)||12:00-13:30|
|Sunday||Mixed Intermediate Coaching||Sports Park (Exeter Tennis Centre)||13:30-15:00|
Notable club achievements
- Ranked 3rd in the BUCS rankings 2015-2016 with the women ranked 1st
- All 7 teams finished either 1st of runners up in their respective leagues in 2014-2015
- Women's team reached the final of the BUCS 2012 / 2013 Championships
- Former Sports Scholar Yvanna Kurlak has represented Great Britain Students
- Winner of club of the year at the 2012 / 2013 Athletic Union Awards
High Performance Tennis
Tennis at Exeter University has a history of excellence and is one of the University’s Focus Sports.The University of Exeter Student Performance Programme is overseen by Head of Student Tennis Steve Wood who has travelled with top 20 players on the ATP tour and worked extensively with national level players.
Exeter currently has seven (four men’s, three women’s) British University College Sport (BUCS) teams which compete in the BUCS leagues. Players also have the opportunity to compete in BUCS Individuals competitions, the University Tennis Tour, British Tours and ITF events whilst completing their degree. Any students requiring more information about tennis at the University of Exeter can email Steve Wood at email@example.com.
Performance Tennis players also have access to a range of support services provided by the High Performance unit including:
- S&C-access to the Athlete Development Centre (ADC) for squad specific sessions and open session access, specific term time and holiday programmes, fitness testing and monitoring
- Sports Science support- nutrition, psychology, performance analysis, athlete lifestyle support and an annual fitness testing package
- Physiotherapy-subsidised physiotherapy and sports massage, access to weekly physiotherapy triage sessions both provided by Ocean Physio and rehab
- Workshops-including employability, nutrition, psychology, student athlete lifestyle management
Bursaries are awarded to individual performance tennis players throughout the season. Awards are given to players who are looking to further develop their own tennis and who show an exceptional work-rate at high-performance training sessions both on-court and in the gym.
Players are also expected to compete regularly in British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) competitions and at least four British Tour events every year, as well as the annual Club Championships.
For further information on tennis scholarships please contact the Head of Student Tennis, Steve Wood on 01392 722732.