Sir Christopher Ondaatje Devon Cricket Centre
The indoor facility include:
- Four full length indoor nets (38 metres)
- 800 square metre indoor playing area
- Video analysis
- Bowling machines
- High performance lighting
- High performance flooring
- One to one and group coaching sessions are available for children and adults
The Centre is open every day both term time and during vacations. Please see our opening times page for full details.
Unfortunately the cricket centre is not open to members or casual bookings at this time to ensure we provide a Covid-secure venue for our student sport programmes and to ensure the safety of students and staff on-site.
We are now able to take bookings for 1 to 1 Coaching Sessions again, all conducted in line with ECB COVID Guidelines.
Contact Jack (email@example.com) for more information.
Net hire prices
Peak: weekdays 12:00-close, weekends 15:00-close
Off-peak: all other times
Maximum of 6 people per net.
The Centre is available for private hire and can be booked on a pay-and-play basis or as a regular block booking. The centre is available for:
- General public sessions.
- Indoor six-a-side games.
- Hire by cricket clubs, teams and companies.
The University of Exeter runs both a men's and women's cricket club. 4 men's teams and 2 women's teams compete in the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS):
- Men's 1st XI - National League
- Men's 2nd XI - Western 1A
- Men's 3rd XI - Western 2A
- Men's 4th XI - Western 2B
- Women's 1st XI - Premier South
- Women's 2nd XI - Western 1A
As a cricket programme, we are looking to:
- Mirror first class academy setup for all our high performance athletes, both male and female
- Achieve excellence from all our teams - with the ultimate goal of becoming the number 1 cricket university in the UK
- Develop people holistically over 3 years at the University, preparing them for their time in the working world
One to One Coaching
Whether you're a total beginner or a seasoned pro, one-to-one coaching can help you to improve your game and fine tune your skills. We look to enhance your overall performance by looking at:
- Mental approach to the game
- Fitness and conditioning
- Tactical awareness
One-to-one coaching is available for players of all ages and abilities. We are also able to offer instant video analysis.
- One-to-one: £30.00 per hour
- One-to-two: £35.00 per hour
We are now able to take bookings for these 1 to 1 Coaching Sessions again, at times that best suit you.
To book please contact us on 01392 725069 or contact Jack Bradbury on firstname.lastname@example.org
Throughout the year, we run a comprehensive children's cricket programme which includes children's holiday coaching, school sessions, Saturday cricket club and 1:1 coaching. All of our activities are led by our experienced ECB qualified coaching team who deliver inspiring and innovative sessions which are designed to not only teach children new skills, but to also get them excited about cricket.
Saturday Morning Cricket Club
Our popular children’s Saturday morning cricket club will hopefully return in January 2022. The club is open to children aged 5-9 years.
For more information, please contact us on 01392 725069. To book please call the Sports Park on 01392 724452, online bookings are available one week prior to the date by using our online bookings page.
We will offer holiday courses during the following school holidays:
We have opportunities for 3 different age groups;
Mini Softball: 5 - 9 Year Olds
Junior Hardball: 9 - 12 Year Olds
Senior Hardball: 12 - 15 Year Olds
All information will be posted on the following link;
For more information about cricket coaching for children, please contact us on 01392 725069.
Devon Cricket Board
The Devon Cricket Board (DCB) is responsible for all recreational cricket in Devon and has its offices at the Sir Christopher Ondaatje Devon Cricket Centre.
The DCB use the cricket centre for 600 hours a year for:
- Elite performers programme
- One-to-one cricket coaching for all ages and abilities
- Devon County Cricket Club training sessions
- Devon Coaches Association training
- Level one, two and three coaching qualifications
- Talent ID
- Devon Club Indoor Cricket League
- Devon Club Indoor Cricket Finals
- Chris Read Coaching Academy
In addition to the activities held at the University of Exeter, the Devon Cricket Board is involved in many other initiatives and activities.
Youth Cricket Foundation – supporting cricket in Devon
This charitable foundation generates income to support the growth and development of young cricketers in Devon.
Please contact the DCB if you are interested in volunteering opportunities or would like to help in any other way.
Devon Indoor League
Devon has a number of indoor leagues around the county: Ashmoor, Derriford, Sidmouth and Exeter (previously Tiverton). Winners of these leagues go through to regional playoffs and finals which are held in Taunton and then the national finals which are held at Lords Cricket Ground.
Could you be a cricket coach?
The DCB offer various cricket related courses including UKCC coaching qualifications and workshops including Equity in your Coaching, Child Welfare, Umpires and Scorers, and First Aid.
For more information on any of these courses visit the DCB courses website.
Throughout the year we run a number of corporate cricket events for businesses throughout the community to meet, network and compete in enjoyable and highly social events.
Corporate Indoor 6-a-side Cricket League
This league brings together eight companies in a tournament. Matches take place at the Sir Christopher Ondaatje Devon Cricket Centre at the Sports Park and last one hour, with all players having an opportunity to bat, bowl and field. The rules have been adapted to make the games more fun and accessible for all players!
- All players bowl two overs
- Batsmen retire at 25 (but can bat again)
- There are no extra balls for wides (apart from the last over)
- No leg before wicket (LBW)
- A line halfway down the pitch to stop short-pitch bowling
- Relaxed no-balls rules for bowling techniques
View the full list of rules: Corporate indoor 6-a-side cricket league rules.
To register your interest and get your company involved, email Jack Bradbury
During the summer we run 20/20 outdoor cricket friendlies and tournaments at Topsham Sports Ground on the outskirts of Exeter. Small boundaries mean big scores with an abundance of sixes and fours keeping all the fielders busy throughout the game. The usual rules of cricket apply but are not strictly enforced as games are designed to be light-hearted yet competitive.
- 20 overs
- Batsmen retire at 25 (and can bat again)
- All bowlers bowl a maximum of 2 overs
- Small boundaries
We are delighted to be linked with Kia Women’s Cricket Super League team Western Storm, who were crowned champions in 2017. Based in the South West, Western Storm was created in 2016 when Somerset County Cricket Club, Gloucestershire County Cricket Club and the University of Exeter joined forces to form a unique consortium that was successfully awarded hosting rights from 2016-2019.
The team use the University's fantastic cricket facilities to train on during their season and can often be found at Topsham Sports Ground. The University’s partnership with Western Storm gives student cricketers a pathway into top level cricket, as seen by three recent Exeter graduates in Freya Davies, Amara Carr, and Lissy Macleod, who have all represented the Storm.
More information can be found on Western Storm's official club website.
Junior Indoor League
2019 saw the introduction of our inaugural Under 15 Junior Indoor Cricket League. We welcomed 6 clubs for our first season, and are always open to welcoming more on board.
Games run between October and December, and 6pm - 9pm on a Wednesday Evening.
- 10 Overs a side
- Last one hour
- 6 players a side
- All Players can bowl a maximum of two overs, meaning 5 of the 6 must bowl.
- Batters retire at 25. But can return if all others are out.