Approximately 15-20 rowers are selected annually for our performance squad. These athletes will be given access to the following rowing specific programme alongside the Performance Programme support services.
- Specialist coaching and support for a year round programme.
- 3 x on water sessions a week from the Nicholas Bull Boathouse
- Access to the ergo room at the Sports Park
- Up to 4 x S&C sessions per week including weights, recovery with a UKSCA acredited S&C coach
- Weekly video analysis for technical training
- BUCS events including Indoor Championships, 4s and 8s head and BUCS regatta with the potential to qualify for the European Universities events.
- Opportunity to compete at the Henley and Metropolitan Regatta
- Support with Great Britain trials process for GB under 23 or senior teams
Coach and athlete profiles
Richard Tinkler - Director of Rowing
A former National Champion himself, Richard has been in the rowing game for over forty years, during which he worked with GB Rowing for over a decade. A highly motivated coach who cites his biggest achievement as “my next win”, Richard joined the University of Exeter’s rowing programme as Head Coach in 2011, becoming Director of Rowing in 2013.
Richard works across the Rowing Club’s novice and senior squads, developing them through to National Team Selection if they choose. His training regimes are designed to produce fit and technically precise rowers, focussing on the discipline it takes to manage time and the pressures of the sport.
“My scholarship allowed me to buy my own racing shell to train and compete in, and step up to win BUCs (3 golds, 1 silver, 2 bronze this season)and win the B final at GB trials making me the leading U23 in the country aged 19”
BSc Geography with Study Abroad
“After having experienced my first year in Exeter with the support and advice that has come with the Sports Scholarship, I feel as though it has made the transition from school to university level sport much easier and less daunting. All the added benefits that come with the scholarship have really benefited me and my progress this year has been something I was never expecting”