Performance Hockey players will be given access to the following sports specific programme along with all the Performance Programme services:
- Full pre-season training programme-open to returning performance athletes, selected BUCS players, invited incoming 1st years students including any athletes shortlisted for a Sports Scholarship who will be expected to attend.
- High quality sports specific coaching
- 2 x on pitch training sessions (per squad) every week
- 3 x weekly S&C sessions with UKSCA acredited S&C coaches in the Athlete Development Centre (ADC)
- Weekly BUCS matches with both men's and women's playing in South A
- National League playing opportunities including links with ISCA Hockey Club (women) who play in Investec Women's Hockey League (Conference West) and Exeter University (men) recently promoted to Premier Division of Men's Hockey league
- Scholarships and funding are available to exceptional players
- Weekly team and individual video analysis sessions
Simon Tyson - Performance Coach (Men’s Hockey)
Simon is a UKCC and England Hockey Level 2 qualified coach and coaches the Men’s Hockey 1st team. Simon played hockey for the University during his time as an undergraduate student and over four years he reached four BUSA & BUCS Championship and Trophy Finals, winning three Gold’s and one Silver medal.
Before joining Exeter, Simon played National League hockey at Firebrands and was selected for junior England representation.
Anne Baker - Performance Coach (Women's Hockey)
Anne is a level 4 hockey coach who has been associated with the University of Exeter for the last 19 years in a variety of roles. A former head of PE at Cheltenham Ladies’ College where the women’s hockey side won 2 National School Finals and having previously worked as the National Coaching Manager for England Hockey (2003-2012) and the Coach Education Advisor for Sports Coach UK (2012 – 2016), Anne brings a wealth of coaching experience to the University Hockey programme.
Heavily involved with ISCA University whose 1st team play in the Investec Conference West of the Investec Women’s Hockey League, Anne has previously coached all club teams but is currently responsible for the 2nd to 5th teams. With the University Anne steered the University of Exeter Women’s Hockey 1st team to 2 BUCS silvers in 1999 and 2000. In the South West she has also coached the county and West of England teams as well as the England Junior Development Centre.
This year Anne will look to support the University Women’s Hockey programme and continue her involvement with ISCA University.
Harry Jones - Performance Coach (Women's Hockey)
Harry has played hockey at the highest level in the UK and Australia, competing in the National Premier League in England and Australia alongside some of the World’s best International players.
Hockey has always been a huge part of Harry’s life and coaching is now his passion and he has an infectious enthusiasm for the game and an ability to inspire and engage with players of all abilities. He is currently a UKCC level three coach and has worked with elite junior and senior players including the Wales National Age Groups and is the Senior Men’s Assistant coach for the indoor side. He has coached at two National League clubs, where he had the honour of being the youngest coach to lead a Premier League team in 2013/14 season.
Harry joined the University of Exeter in 2014 as a Performance coach and in 2015/16 he worked with the University of Exeter women’s 1st team who reached the BUCS Championship final, winning a silver medal.
On top of this Harry is the Director of Hockey at Blundell’s School where he has achieved National success at U13, U14, U16 and U18 level at the National Schools finals.