Approximately 12 players are selected annually for our performance squad. These athletes will be given access to the following programme along with all the services included in the programme for all athletes.Individual management and programme development through University Golf Head Coach, Darren Everett – daily
- BUCS Southern Premier matches – weekly. BUCS Student Tour and Finals. For information on the BUCS Golf Tour 2016-17 please visit the BUCS website.
- Coaching & technical development administered by a University Golf Coach and delivered on site at the Vic Ambler Golf Centre
- Regular short game and scoring zone skill challenge sessions – weekly
- Individual periodised fitness, conditioning & weight training programme – x 2 per week
- Access to PGA Level 1 & 2 Golf Coaching awards and coaching on junior academies
- Extensive sport science and psychology support
- Performance and Biomechanical analysis via the University Golf Head Coach
- Full physiotherapy support from England Golf Physio Andy Larmour
- Full winter training programme and warm weather training based at EGU training venues and Trevose Golf & Country Club, Cornwall (Brabazon Trophy venue 2008)
- Individual monitoring, performance review and mentoring meetings
We support a number of R&A golf scholars each year and offer a comprehensive High Performance Programme (HPP) for both male and female golfers. The current HPP squad handicaps range from +2 to 3 with a number holding a World Amateur Golf Ranking (WAGR).
To enhance the performance of our HPP squad we are looking to recruit both undergraduate and postgraduate students. We aim to recruit men playing off a minimum of +1 and women playing off 2, who preferably hold a WAGR ranking. Eligible students can apply for a Sports Scholarship at the university, which will contribute to both tuition fees and sporting expenses.
“This year I managed to achieve my goal of winning a BUCS tour event. I also followed this, with win in the English and Welsh BUCS championship later in the year. The Sports Scholarship Scheme has allowed me to improve my game, both technically and with coaching, but also physically with the high performance strength and conditioning sessions. I feel that the scheme this far, has allowed me to grow as a golfer and play a broader golfing schedule in which I would not be able to do, without the financial support of the University”
“The financial help is huge in helping me cover the costs of travel/equipment whilst the scholarship mentoring is helping me to perform better on and off the course and to achieve my goal of becoming a World Ranked Player”