University of Exeter Women's Hockey Club
The Exeter University Ladies Hockey Club (EULHC) boasts five teams playing in top level BUCS leagues as well as a 6th XI Development Squad and a Saturday League team. Our 1st XI play in the BUCS Premier South division as well as National League hockey for the ISCA-University side every weekend and this team is comprised of an increasing number of student players with international honours.
February 2015 saw the first ever Women’s Hockey Varsity match, occurring before the Men’s fixture in our Exeter University Hockey Varsity. This was the not only the biggest hockey varsity the University of Exeter had ever seen, with students and staff from all over campus attending, but also the biggest varsity on campus ever. The Ladies 1st XI beat Nottingham University in an emphatic 4-1 win to progress to the semi-finals of the BUCS Cup. The University of Exeter Hockey Club consistently achieves very high BUCS points, placing us in the top 3 universities for hockey, year after year, finishing 2nd in the BUCS rankings 2014-2015.
On Sunday evenings EULHC and EUMHC host intramural hockey matches - a great way to meet new people, play with friends or play hockey for the first time. Matches are as competitive or relaxed as you make them and regardless of experience, all matches are umpired. Whatever hockey you are looking to play at university, we cater for it all, so come and meet us!
Club training times
1st team training
Sports Park (Water Astro)
Sports Park (Sand Astro)
|Thursday||National League Training||Sports Park (Water Astro)||17:00-19:00|
|Friday||Team training||Sports Park (Water Astro)||19:00-21:00|
Notable club achievements
- The 1st team has won BUCS Premier South division for last three years and reached two semi-finals in the knockouts narrowly losing to Loughborough in 2014-2015.
- University of Exeter Women’s Hockey Club ranked 3rd in BUCS rankings 2014-2015
- University of Exeter Hockey Club ranked 2nd in BUCS rankings 2014-2015
Hall of Fame
- Ella Jackson - Wales seniors
- Meg Crowson - England U21
- Kathryn Lane - England U21
- Annabel Driver - England U21
- Sarah Thomas - Bronze medallist at London 2012 Olympics with Team GB
Performance Hockey players benefit from a number of specialist support services including:
- A dedicated UKCC Level Three Qualified Director of Hockey
- Two on pitch training sessions (per squad) every week
- Access to weekly strength and conditioning sessions with our specialist trainers
- Access to physio consultations and reduced treatment rates
- Scholarships and funding are available to exceptional players
- Weekly team and individual video analysis sessions
Access to a range of support services provided by the High Performance unit including:
- S&C-access to the Athlete Development Centre (ADC) for squad specific sessions and open session access, specific term time and holiday programmes, fitness testing and monitoring
- Sports Science support- nutrition, psychology, performance analysis, athlete lifestyle support and an annual fitness testing package
- Physiotherapy-subsidised physiotherapy and sports massage, access to weekly physiotherapy triage sessions both provided by Ocean Physio and rehab
- Workshops-including employability, nutrition, psychology, student athlete lifestyle management
We operate a full pre-season training programme from the last weekend in August which includes three sessions, five days per week. Returning performance players as well as those identified from other BUCS teams are invited to attend, as well as incoming first year students of the appropriate standard. If you are short-listed for a sports scholarship, you will be expected to attend our pre-season training as the final part of your scholarship screening process.
Scholarships can be awarded to prospective students of junior international age group standard or above. We are committed to supporting individuals who are part of the England National Age Group squads and those with aspirations to play at senior international level.