University of Exeter Shotokan Karate Club
One of the most popular and well-known martial arts, karate is a system of self-defence originating from Japan. Our sessions are led by the highest ranked Dan grade in the South West, Sensei Trevor Jarett (5th Dan). With his guidance and instruction, members can advance through the ranks with termly gradings and train towards national competitions, in which the club has already enjoyed much success.
Karate classes at the University have plenty to offer for complete beginners, as well as experienced students. It is a fun way to make friends and keep fit.
Complete beginners and experienced students are welcome to enjoy karate’s fitness and our various socials give members more opportunity to meet new people and make karate one of the best parts of your student life.
Club training times
|Monday||Training||Upper Gym, St Luke's||17:00-19:00|
|Tuesday||Training||Sports Park, Studio 3||18:00-20:00|
|Friday||Training||Sports Park, Studio 3||18:00-20:00|
Notable Club Achievements
- Silver medallists in Team Kata at the 2013 British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) Gatorade National Championships
- Gold medallists in Team Kata at the 2012 KUGB Student Nationals
- Won Gold for Exeter in Women’s Intermediate Kata at the 2012 BUCS National Championships
- Bronze medallists in Team Kata at the 2012 BUCS National Championships (the team features on the banner of the BUCS Karate homepage)
- Won Silver and Bronze medals in other recent BUCS and KUGB competitions prior to 2012