Investment in sport at the University of Exeter
Over the past 10 years, in excess of £20 million has been invested in the sport on offer at the University, with the aim to provide Excellence in Sport for all customers, students and staff. The investment has culminated in incredible facilities across a range of sites, but also the services required to provide the users with an ‘excellent experience’.
August 2013 saw the completion of an eighteen month scheme of work costing nearly £9million at the Sports Park, delivering a major overhaul of the facilities.
- An innovative, interactive and immersive 200 station Russell Seal Fitness Centre
- Purpose-built fitness studio
- New reception area
- Pavilion over-looking the international standard water-based hockey pitch with eight changing rooms
- New 3G Multi-use games area
- Permanent covering for 6 tennis / netball courts
- New international standard carpet for the Water-based hockey pitch
- Investment in the Nicholas Bull Boat House
- Investment in the health and fitness equipment at St Luke’s Sports Centre and changing rooms
The investment included re-establishing the running trial around the Sports Park, increasing the size of the car park and the appointment of additional staffing. Many more students and staff have benefitted from these superb facilities with 7,000 visits a week to the Russell Seal Fitness Centre within the first year, an increase of over 3,000.
The strive for excellence means that we haven’t stopped our improvements with further investment in the past two years nearing £1million, which included;
- Replacement of the 3G rubber-crumb astro turf pitch and installation of full rugby pitch.
- Refurbishment of the covered tennis courts flooring to competition standard.
- Creation of the Vic Ambler Golf practice area.
- Creation and development of the Athlete Development Centre.
- Installation of changing rooms at the outdoor pool.
- Refurbishment of the squash courts.
- Refurbishment of the performance training facility.
- Full lighting upgrade at St Luke’s Sports Centre.
- Investment in the Nicholas Bull Boat House.
- Improvements to the Topsham Sports Ground.
A five-year fully costed rolling replacement plan is in place to ensure that our customers will continue to experience excellence. The investment is not just facilities as we have identified and appointed new and additional staff within health and fitness, strength and conditioning, operations and coaching to ensure that we exceed our customer expectations.
To support recreational and sporting opportunities on our Cornwall Campus in Penryn, a £4m sports centre and nursery was completed and opened in September 2016. Works included a fitness suite, exercise studio and sports hall.
University of Exeter Sport continues to evolve and drive forward to deliver on our student sporting ambition.
To be able to offer incredible facilities and superb services to our students, staff and external members we know we must continue to improve and invest and strive for excellence. We hope that everyone is able to benefit from the sports facilities across all our sites.
Neil Sheppard, Assistant Director of Sport.